French potato salad is a tangy, bright, and fresh side dish. It actually gets better with time as the champagne dijon vinaigrette continues to marinate along with the tender boiling potatoes and fresh herbs. This recipe is simple, simply divine. Bring this to any potluck or fancy up dinner at home with this french potato salad and enjoy the praise that will come your way.
Why Make French Potato Salad?
- Vinegar based potato salad, no mayonnaise here!
- Small boiling potatoes are used, no peeling potatoes!
- Fresh herbs elevate; flavor burst and keeps it fresh.
- Great for most diets; it is gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, vegetarian, and no dairy.
- Stunning presentation, no “gloppy” mayo, and boring white palate thanks to two kinds of potatoes and a burst of green from the herbs.
French Potato Salad is perfect for…
- Picnics, barbecues, and potlucks – it can sit out and will not spoil
- Weeknight meals – it is fast and easy to assemble
- Meal planning – tastes best when it is made ahead of time
How to Make French Potato Salad
Small boiling potatoes are used for this. No need to peel any potatoes. I recommend using a couple of different kinds of potatoes for color variety. In this potato salad recipe, I use these dynamic duo packs by the Little Potato Company that I get from my local store.
Boil the potatoes under fork tender. Once complete, drain the potatoes and let cool just until you can handle them. You want them to still be quite warm when you slice them in half. If they are larger potatoes, they may need to be quartered. They should be bite-sized.
The halved potatoes go into a large serving bowl and while still warm, drizzle the white wine over the potatoes. This will allow the potatoes to drink in the white wine – pour a glass for yourself also at this time so the potatoes are not drinking alone! 🙂
Mix together the champagne dijon vinaigrette ingredients. When combined, pour over the potatoes and mix to combine evenly. Chop the herbs and the green onions. Add to the potatoes and toss gently.
The result is a deliciously warm, tangy, fresh, and comforting bowl of potato salad goodness. It is great immediately. I do admit it does get better as it sits and soaks in more of the dressing. I am always disappointed when there are no leftovers because this is more delicious the next day.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
What to Serve with French Potato Salad:
French Potato Salad
- 4 pounds small boiling potatoes two colors recommended
- 2 TB white wine
- 3 TB Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1 TB dijon mustard
- 2 TB fresh dill minced
- 2 TB fresh flat-leaf parsley minced
- 1/4 C green onions/scallions minced (white & green parts)
- salt & pepper
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water, ensure there is about 2″ of water over the top of the potatoes. Cook about 20 minutes, until fork-tender. (do not overcook or they will be mushy)
- Drain immediately and let cook just until they are no longer too hot to touch.
- Once cool but still warm, cut each in half or in quarters if medium-sized.
- In a large serving bowl, add the potato halves. Sprinkle the warm potatoes with the white wine. Toss gently with a spoon so that all get some wine soaked into the warm potatoes.
- Let sit for about 15 min to ensure the potatoes cool more and all the white wine is absorbed.
- Combine the vinegar, olive oil, and dijon in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk to combine the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the potatoes and stir gently. Top with fresh herbs and green onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
- French potato salad can store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an air-tight container.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1.9g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 37g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||15%|
|Total Sugars 2.4g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|