Welcome to my blog. I am Angela, the petite mom behind The Short Order Cook, and I am happy you found your way here. I started this blog as a community for families to come together through all things food including, family recipes, kids learning to cook, travel eats, and adventurous palates. Whether you are a novice or foodie, and no matter your budget, I hope you and your family will feel right at home here. Please pull up a chair and let’s dig in.
The Short Order Cook Story
In 2005, The Short Order Cook began as a personal chef and recipe testing business in California. I enjoyed cooking for families and helping them eat healthy even with a busy life. During this time, I started a family of my own with my husband. We welcomed micro-preemie boy/girl twins into our family and two years later along came another son. After many successful years behind other people’s stoves, I decided I needed to focus on my own family and my corporate job. I always knew that I would resurrect the business someday. That time came in 2018, after a 6-year hiatus. The Short Order Cook has made a comeback now as a food blog where I hope to help others gain confidence in the kitchen, try new things and involve family and friends.
All About Me in 8 Food Facts
- I am a credited recipe tester in, The Good Home Cookbook.
- During a stint as a recipe tester for a brewery, I was paid in beer.
- I do not have a sweet tooth but l cannot be trusted with anything salty that’s left unattended.
- My cocktail of choice is a very dirty vodka martini. (shaken not stirred)
- I loathe mayonnaise, oysters, and lamb.
- I cannot get enough cilantro even though my husband hates it.
- Hollandaise sauce is something I have yet to master, to my husband’s dismay since he loves eggs benedict.
- My favorite cities to visit and eat in are Rome, San Francisco, New York, and Prague.
All About Me in 8 Life Facts
- I am born and raised in California (minus a few years as a toddler living in New York).
- I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in my early 20s and have been honing my grain-free, paleo, and keto cooking skills to keep as healthy as possible.
- My husband and I met at a Raiders game and our love connection was featured in a Sunset Magazine article about my professional chef business highlighting my tips for tailgating (and finding love as a bonus)!
- My husband was a vegetarian before he met me and he has been making up for all those years without bacon, short ribs, and abalone ever since.
- My petite stature reaches a towering 4’8″!
- My kids have an adventurous palate including escargot, creme brûlée, and sushi.
- Our terrier mix dog, (princess) Leia, is happy to taste test anything we cook.
- My favorite number is 8, obviously.
What About You?
Questions or comments? Please send me an email at [email protected] or comment below.
If you wish to stay connected on a regular basis, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook. I post regularly and am always waiting to hear from you.