I have been subscribing to food and cooking magazines since I was a teen. I still love getting them in the mail and flipping through all the amazing photos, recipes, & articles. These magazines range from easy to gourmet recipes so they are great for home cooks of all levels & skills.
After decades of reading, here is what I consider the top 10 best food & cooking magazines. Subscribe to one of these in 2023 & you will enjoy delicious recipes & more. Food magazines offer basics such as cooking turkey bacon in the oven to entertaining ideas like mixing a delicious espresso martini.
Print media and magazines are not as popular as they were decades ago but many of us still love them. There is something about a recipe in print that is enticing and fun to make. If you love reading, also try one of my favorite non-fiction books about food, cooking, & travel.
If you are in the market for a food magazine subscription for yourself or as a gift, order one of these top picks. These are in no particular order and I have separated them into a few categories so you can pick out the magazines just right for you and your household.
#ad this post includes affiliate links where I may receive compensation.
Magazines for Easy to Gourmet Recipes
These are my favorite cooking magazines for the home cook. With a plethora of simple & easy recipes that are family favorites, these magazines have the most to offer their readers. If you are a beginning cook or savvy in the kitchen, you will find just what you need with these magazines.
All your favorite tv chefs in one great magazine. This is a great magazine for all levels of cooking skills & confidence. I even recommend this cooking magazine for kids and teens. It includes easy-to-follow instructions, gorgeous photos, & fun articles.
- Simple, easy, & everyday favorite recipes
- Clear & concise Recipes anyone can follow
- Variety of types & flavors
- Variety of cooking skill levels from easy to moderate
- Great pictures & articles
- Recognizable chefs from your favorite Food Network Shows
This classic home, garden, & food magazine has been around for almost 100 years for good reason. This magazine is ideal for anyone that loves to grow their own food, tend to a garden, cook, & entertain. Chock full of recipes and home ideas every month. Great for all levels of cooking and gardening.
- Gardening & cooking magazine all in one
- Seasonal & holiday offerings throughout the year
- DIY projects for the home
- Decorating, entertaining, & table setting ideas
- Gorgeous photos of home & recipes
- Most recipes are easy to moderate level
This long-standing magazine is best known for its in-depth recipe testing process. Every recipe is tried & true and has been made by a large team of Cook's Illustrated staff. This magazine is like going to culinary school every month to learn the best way to cook anything from roast chicken to baked Alaska. Recipes range from simple classics to gourmet delights.
This magazine is a personal favorite for not just the great recipes but also for the product recommendations. BONUS - this magazine has no ads! Just pages of wonderful articles & recipes without the ads. It is worth every penny & it is my favorite magazine to send as a gift to the foodies in my life.
- Step-by-Step instructions & photos for every recipe
- Tested recipes that you know will work & taste great
- Easy & gourmet recipes for every home cook
- Best for learning at any skill level
- Product reviews, recipe techniques, & best kitchen practices
- Subscriber group on Facebook
- NO ADS!
For the most family-friendly recipes, this magazine is fantastic. It includes healthy recipes and comforting recipes that are decadent. Whether you want simple breakfast recipes, fancy main dishes, or holiday desserts, this magazine has it all.
- 100+ recipes in every edition
- All skill levels for family & homecooked recipes
- Easy recipes with everyday staples & ingredients
- Cost-saving tips, tricks, & kitchen ideas
- Casual, holiday & entertaining recipes & ideas
- The recipe variety is large; CrockPot, healthy, etc.
- Recipes have clear instructions & wonderful photos
I have subscribed to this magazine for decades. It is still my favorite for recipes that range from easy to complicated and gourmet. The articles regarding travel, restaurants, & chef profiles are some of my favorites. Their annual restaurant edition is a must-read.
- Subscribe for print & get digital access too - 1000s of recipes!
- The variety of recipes ranges from easy to gourmet
- Easy-to-follow recipes with stunning photos
- Articles about travel & restaurants too
- Best for moderate cooking levels but all are ok
This magazine is pretty mainstream even with its gourmet & high-end look & feel. Food & Wine covers everything you want to eat & drink from recipes, restaurant reviews, travel eats, cocktails, and, of course, food & wine.
- Gorgeous travel & food photos
- Recipes are moderate to advanced level for the most part
- Reviews & recipes for all libations from wine to cocktails
- Great for trends & new recipes & ingredients
- Worldy focus on international recipes & articles
Special Diet Magazines
If you want to follow a special diet for health, cultural, or ethical reasons, there are great magazines for you. These food & cooking magazines offer a variety of recipe options that may be just what you are looking for.
Of the healthy food option in print, Cooking Light is the gold standard for magazines. All the recipes are not only delicious & gorgeous but light, healthy, & satisfying. Offers a variety of recipes for those eating low-fat, fresh, & with many whole food ingredients.
- Many recipes showcase fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, & proteins
- A lighter version of classic favorite recipes
- Low-Calorie lifestyle beauty tips & exercises
- Simple recipes with common ingredients
- Covers all recipes categories from sauces to main dishes to cocktails
Whether you are a vegetarian or not, this magazine all about vegetables hits all the right notes. Includes the latest news, recipes, events, & information for a vegetarian lifestyle.
- Premier Vegetarian Lifestyle Magazine
- Vegan & vegetarian options in every issue
- Recipes are simple & have lovely photos
- Also includes book & restaurant reviews, product reviews, & more
- Great articles without being preachy
- Ideal for those new to or have always enjoyed a vegetarian diet
Food, Travel, & Other Magazines
Here are some other great food & cooking magazines that you will be excited to find in your mailbox. All have wonderful recipes anyone can cook, stunning photos, & informative articles. Subscribe and save money without missing anything yummy.
Christopher Kimball's current dive into all things food on print. Like Cook's Illustrated it is wonderful for learning at all levels of cooking, baking, & anything you can whip up in the kitchen.
- Well tested recipes
- Easy-to-follow recipes with lovely photos
- Product reviews & best practices
- Recipes for all levels
- Clear instructions perfect for the beginning cook
If you love to travel and eat in new restaurants & discover new things to love, Travel & Leisure magazine is right for you. This magazine focuses on the best of the best in every category; best golf courses, best restaurants, best hotels, best shops, & more. So open this magazine up and take a trip to somewhere lovely & tasty.
- Stunning photos from around the world
- Travel eats & restaurant info from top destinations
- Hotel, resort, & lodging guides
- International adventures & food
Pricing & Magazine Ordering Info
Here are all the magazines shared here today. Review more information, pricing, and reader reviews. ORDER TODAY & start cooking soon!
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!