This easy muffin recipe with applesauce is the best homemade baked good for breakfast, snacks, or even dessert. They are sweet, fluffy, and the cinnamon sugar topping is a bit crunchy and rustic which makes these the tastiest muffins ever. These breakfast muffins are great for kids, toddlers, babies, and adults. Everyone will want these sweet applesauce muffins for holiday and weekend brunches.
The batter for these healthy muffins is hand mixed and is a quick recipe that is ready in just a few minutes and then into the oven. There is no oil in these muffins, the rich salted butter paired with unsweetened apple sauce, and spices result in a wonderful from-scratch recipe. and In only 30 minutes home-baked applesauce spice muffins are ready for the family.
Ingredients for Easy Applesauce Muffins
To make homemade apple sauce muffins, the ingredients are simple and you likely have everything you need already in your pantry. The most important part about preparing for this recipe is that you will want the eggs to be at room temperature. This is typically the case whenever baking. Often the butter is at room temperature too but in this recipe, we actually are using melted butter.
Additions for More AppleSauce Muffin Recipe Ideas
- CRANBERRY APPLESAUCE MUFFINS - add ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- BLUEBERRY APPLESAUCE MUFFINS - add ⅓ cup fresh blueberries
- BANANA APPLESAUCE MUFFINS - reduce apple sauce to ¾ C and add ¼ C mashed banana
- NUT APPLESAUCE MUFFINS - add ⅓ cup of your favorite chopped nuts
How to Make Applesauce Muffins
Preheat the oven to 400°. This batter comes together fast and you want that oven ready. In a small-sized mixing bowl, you will add all the dry ingredients. Next, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the room temperature eggs and brown sugar.
Melt the butter and make sure it is melted but not HOT before adding to the mixture. You do not want the hot butter combined with the eggs (or you may get scrambled egg pieces). Next add warm melted butter, a little at a time, whisking until mixture is creamy. Now for the yummy apple sauce.
Homemade Apple Sauce for the Muffins
For this recipe, I am using my homemade apple sauce which is honestly pretty amazing and so easy. I highly recommend making homemade apple sauce not just for this recipe but for enjoyment any time of year. Try my SLOW COOKER APPLE SAUCE recipe and judge for yourself. Look how delicious that looks and while you make it, your house will smell so good.
Topping and Baking the Muffins
Prepare a 12 muffin tin with nonstick spray or grease. Once the batter is ready, divide it evenly among 12 muffin cups.
In a small bowl, add all of the topping ingredients and mix. Then sprinkle about a teaspoon on top of each muffin.
Fresh Baked Applesauce Muffins
Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the muffin pan for a few minutes and then remove them from the pan. Place them on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Enjoy while warm!
Make-Ahead and How to Store Muffins
These easy homemade applesauce muffins can be stored and enjoyed over a few days. Store them in an air-tight container for up to 2 days. They are also great to make ahead of time like for Christmas breakfast by making them a day before and keeping them for the next day. But I admit, this recipe for applesauce muffins makes them pretty fantastic warm right out of the oven and it will be hard to wait.
You can also freeze homemade muffins easily. I suggest wrapping each one individually in plastic wrap tightly. Then place any wrapped muffins in an air-tight container to store in the freezer. Frozen muffins can last up to 2 months in the freezer. To defrost frozen muffins, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Easy Applesauce Muffins
- muffin pan
- 1 & ½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 & ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 C brown sugar packed
- 1 stick plus 3 TBS salted butter melted
- 1 C unsweetened applesauce
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray or grease with butter.
- In a small-sized mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt and mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar. Melt the butter and make sure it is melted but not HOT before adding to the mixture. You do not want hot butter combining with the eggs (or you may get scrambled egg pieces). Next add the warm melted butter, a little at a time, whisking until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the applesauce and mix. Next, fold in the flour mixture until everything is moist and comes together. Scoop or pour batter to divide evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, add all topping ingredients and mix. Then sprinkle 1 teaspoon on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the muffin pan for a few minutes and then remove them from the pan.
- Place them on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 days on your kitchen counter.
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.