Fresh strawberry mousse is an easy parfait dessert. It's light and healthy with mounds of yummy berry whipped cream and puree layer making for a great no-bake recipe. The homemade strawberry whipped cream is folded with a sweet berry puree for a fluffy mouse parfait that is to die for. This is one of our favorite desserts with fresh strawberries. They are way more fancy and delicious than just strawberries and Cool Whip. It is great for many holidays and can be topped to add more color or flavor to this simple recipe; check out below for all my fun suggestions.
This mousse recipe is without eggs and is made with just a few simple ingredients. Also, the strawberry mousse is a gluten-free and grain-free dessert that can easily be made keto or low-carb by using monk fruit instead of sugar. The mousse is made without gelatin so it is a vegetarian option compared to other mousse recipes. This recipe is simply the best from-scratch mousse made without any pudding or Jell-o. For a similar recipe you may also like STRAWBERRIES & VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM.
Ingredients for Fresh Strawberry Mousse Parfaits
To make strawberry mousse you will need strawberries, heavy whipping cream, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. This recipe actually works with other fruits too such as raspberries, blueberries, bananas, pineapple, mango, or peaches. This recipe calls for fresh strawberries but frozen can be substituted to make the mousse. Just make sure to defrost them first.
You can easily substitute the sugars for a no-calorie sweetener such as monk fruit regular and powdered. This will give you a diabetic, low-carb, or ketogenic strawberry mousse recipe.
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Mousse Parfaits
Puree the Strawberries and Sugar Together
To the blender container, add the strawberries, lemon juice, and granulated sugar. I have a Ninja blender and the single serving size attachment works perfectly for the amount we are making for this. On high, blend until you get a lovely fruit puree like seen here.
NOTE - You can strain this through a fine-mesh strainer if the strawberry seeds bother you. We do not mind but that is an option and also a good thing to keep in mind in case you do use raspberries or blackberries instead as they do have bigger seeds that may need a proper straining.
Make the Homemade Sweetened Whipped Cream
The key to making really good whipped cream is to make sure you use COLD equipment, cream, and to add a touch of sugar. Before making the whipped cream place your mixing bowl ( I recommend using metal for whipping cream) and beater attachments in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, an hour is ideal. In the final 5 minutes, I also like to place my cream in the freezer too so it is extra cold.
Once the items are cold and ready. you can begin making the whipped cream. To the chilled bowl add the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Using an electric hand mixer, beat on low for about a minute and then progressively add more speed until you are at a medium-high speed and nothing is splattering out. It takes about 5 minutes total to get the cream whipped into soft peaks as seen below.
Do not overbeat or you make end up with something closer to butter! If this does happen do not worry - here is a great link on HOW TO FIX WHIPPED CREAM.
Fold the Strawberries & Cream Together
Next, you will add ¾ of the strawberry puree into the whipped cream. Reserve the other ¼ to use as a pretty layer inside the dessert cups as you get these ready. Now fold the puree gently into the whipped cream until it is all combined evenly. The strawberry mousse should have a pretty faint pink color when ready. It is ok to leave some swirls too if you want that for fun too.
Layer the Berry Puree and Whipped Cream for the Parfaits
Now that everything is ready it is time to assemble the dessert cups. I use small glass containers as seen here (they are 5oz size) and share a link to similar ones down below in the post. Having these in the clear glass is what makes them a showstopper so you can see the pretty layers in the strawberry mousse parfaits. This recipe makes 6 servings when using a glass that holds 5 ounces each.
Gently scoop the strawberry cream mousse into each glass and fill about ⅓ of the way up. Next, add some of the puree a little at a time so each glass has an equal amount. Now top each with the remaining mousse. The dessert cups will have a lovely layered look as seen below.
Chill for one hour in the refrigerator before eating. They can be made a day ahead of time and keep well in the refrigerator. ENJOY!
Variations and Holiday Fun with this Recipe
This strawberry mousse parfait is perfect just as it is but it is also a great starting recipe. As is, strawberry mousse, is a great dessert for Valentine's Day, anniversaries, birthdays, summer barbecues, and baby or wedding showers. However, with just a few added ingredients or changes, you can use this recipe to create so many other fun and delicious mousse or parfait recipes.
Toppings & variations to try with Fresh Strawberry Mousse Parfait:
- Crumble lemon cookies on the top for a Lemon Strawberry Parfait
- Add crumble shortcake as a layer on top for Strawberry Mousse Shortcake
- Crumble granola on the top for a Strawberry Cereal Parfait
- Add a shaved chocolate layer or top with a chocolate-dipped berry for Chocolate Strawberry Mousse
- Add any crumbled cake or cookie to the top for
- Use the strawberry mousse as a cake or cupcake frosting or filling
For holidays try these changes to the Fresh Strawberry Mousse Parfaits:
- Valentine's Day - add red or pink sprinkles to the top or more whipped cream topped with conversation hearts
- Christmas - add green sprinkles to the top
- 4th of July - add blue sprinkles or blueberries
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Fresh Strawberry Mousse Parfait
- Electric Hand Mixer
- 5-6 oz glasses or dessert cups
- 2 C fresh strawberries stems removed and cut in chunks
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ c granulated sugar
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 TB powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a metal mixing bowl and the beaters in the freezer. Make sure they chill for 30-60 minutes before whipping the cream. Add the cream container to the freezer in the last 5 minutes of this process so the cream is very cold also.
- Place the strawberries, lemon juice, and the ¼ C sugar in a blender. Blend for a minute on high until combined and a thick puree results. Set aside.
- Once everything is chilled for the whipped cream, add the cold cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to the cold mixing bowl. Using an electric hand-mixer, beat on low for about a minute and then progressively add more speed until you are at a medium-high speed and nothing is splattering out. It takes about 5 minutes total to get the cream whipped into soft peaks as seen above in the photos.
- Next you will add ¾ of the strawberry puree into the whipped cream. Reserve the other ¼ to use as a pretty layer inside the dessert cups as you get these ready. Now fold the puree gently into the whipped cream until it is all combined evenly. .
- Using 6 small glass dessert cups or glasses, gently scoop the strawberry cream mousse into each glass and fill about ⅓ of the way up. Next add some of the puree a little at a time so each glass has an equal amount. Now top each with the remaining mousse so there are 3 layers to your pretty dessert.
- Chill for one hour in the refrigerator before eating. Enjoy!
- This are best made the day of but can be made a day ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator to enjoy later.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7.5g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4.6g||23%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15.3g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 13.4g|
|Vitamin D 10mcg||52%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.