This homemade slow cooker beef chili recipe is the best since it is so full of flavor thanks to several spices, smokey bacon, and a rich tomato sauce. It is a great no bean ground beef recipe that everyone should make part of their regular easy dinner rotation.
This tasty beanless red chili has simple ingredients that pack in a lot of flavors and it can be adjusted to be mild or spicy. This is one of the quickest ground beef recipes to put this together and into the Crockpot. The key to a hearty keto slow cooker beef chili recipe is keeping it low-carb without the beans and adding fat and protein-rich toppings like bacon, cheese, avocado, and sour cream.
Slow cooker chili con carne is hearty, chunky, and simmers in rich tomatoes and spices for the most amazing bowl of chili. The perfect chili seasoning mix plus crispy bacon, then add fun and delicious toppings for the ideal low-carb keto chili. You will never miss the beans in your chili again. After all, a classic chili recipe has no beans. It is just hamburger meat, spices, and chili peppers. This easy chili recipe is perfect for all chili lovers, especially those on a keto, soy-free, gluten-free, diabetic, or low-carb diet since it is so tasty without any beans or fillers.
I love my Crock-Pot for many quick recipes but the #1 reason I use the slow cooker, is to make meats tender and infuse flavor slowly into them. Chili is just the sort of thing that begs for the meat to infuse with the other ingredients and there is no better way than to slow cook it for hours in a variety of spices. Cooking ground beef chili in the crockpot is so basic and the most flavorful recipe by far.
What Meat to Use for Chili
My classic chili recipe calls for ground beef but any combination of ground meats will work. If you prefer other ground meats such as turkey, pork, bison, venison, or any mixture, they can all be used in this keto slow cooker recipe. All will work and can meet your dietary or taste preferences.
You can even brown chunks of beef roast and then add to or replace the ground beef. By the time the slow cooker does its magic, the beef will shred and be so tender (just make sure if you use beef pieces vs ground beef, the slow cooker needs 8 hours on low vs 6 hours on low). This makes the ultimate chili con carne without beans! It would be an award-winning recipe for any friendly chili cookoff, vote for bacon.
Why Enjoy Chili Without the Beans
- Fewer Carbohydrates – the carbs in chili without beans is very low, this recipe has only 6 net carbs for a large bowl
- The original chili recipe refers to meat cooked with red chili peppers. (chili con carne – chili with meat) Chili does not refer to beans.
- Beans for many people are not an “agreeable food”
- More meat and flavor when you leave out bland beans (really just a filler)
Ideal Toppings for Chili – Set up a Chili Bar
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- lime juice
- crumbled bacon
- jalapenos, other peppers
- salsa or diced tomatoes
- chopped onion or scallions
- additional hot sauce – for those that want a lot of heat!
The Many Ways to Enjoy this Chili Recipe
- In a bowl with fun toppings listed above
- Top a hot dog or hamburger
- Poach an egg, then put both on a grain-free keto roll, recipe HERE
- Enjoy with Chaffles (keto cheese waffles), recipe HERE
- Top spaghetti or spaghetti squash
- Add to baked potatoes or make chili cheese french fries
- Use as a topping to make chili nachos
- Serve with Green Chili Sweet Corn Casserole, recipe HERE
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef and Bacon Chili
There are only a few ingredients needed for this chili. The slow cooker and the perfect spices work the magic to turn plain ground beef into a bowl of comfort.
Crumble and brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Once browned, DO NOT DRAIN! You want to fat, aka flavor. Plus if you are on a keto diet, you really want that fat.
Add the ground beef and fat to the insert of your slow cooker. Next, add the spices and minced dry onion.
Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine evenly.
Close the lid and set the timer to 6 hours on LOW. The meat is already cooked so you wonder why so long. This step is all about infusing the spices into the meat and keeping it tender and juicy in the acidic tomatoes.
Now for the BACON!!!
I bake my bacon in the oven. I have done this since my first job at a burger place where large baking sheets of bacon were baked up every morning. To this day a bacon cheeseburger is one of my favorite foods. Ok, back to the bacon – crisp it up as you like. We like our bacon extra crispy. Then crumble.
Once the Beef and Bacon Chili is ready – spoon into bowls and bring out all the toppings you want, including the bacon. Stir the bacon into the chili. The reason I do not suggest adding the bacon any sooner is that the crispy bacon will now soften and not have the same texture we love with bacon. The crispiness of the bacon balances the velvety meat and the soupy tomato base.
Next, add any of the toppings I listed above or your own favorites. On this night I had shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, and avocado. I usually love cilantro too but just didn’t have it tonight.
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Slow Cooker Beef & Bacon Chili
- Slow Cooker
- 1.5 pounds ground beef (or other meats, see above comments)
- 6 slices bacon
- 15 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 3 TB chili powder
- 1 TB minced dry onion
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper Optional - for added heat
- Crumble meat into a large skillet and saute on medium until meat is browned and cooked all the way through.
- DO NOT drain the fat. Transfer meat to the insert in your slow cooker.
- Add both canned tomato products and remaining ingredients – not the bacon- and stir. Close the top and set the timer to 6 hours on LOW.
- Bake bacon in a single layer on a baking sheet in the oven at 425°. Cook until desired crispness, we like it super crispy which takes about 20-25 minutes.
- Drain bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool, crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Once the chili is done, spoon into serving bowls and stir in bacon. Top with desired toppings. See above for a great list of chili topping options.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15.9g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 5.4g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.3g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||12%|
|Total Sugars 5.2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.