St. Patrick’s day celebrations here in America need some alcohol. These St Patrick’s Day Pudding Shots are not only a festive dessert but the addition of Irish cream liqueur to pistachio pudding is just what the holiday needs. Adding Bailey’s or Carolans to instant pudding is what makes these shots so good. Who knew that pistachio and Irish cream went together so well but oh my goodness they are so delicious! Sip these and you too will know the magic!
They are the perfect ending for a traditional St. Patrick’s Day dinner celebration. A fun alcoholic pudding makes a great green dessert. To enjoy a full meal you may also want to make the following recipes and enjoy it all:
- SLOW COOKER CORNED BEEF
- EASY HOMEMADE SOFT DINNER ROLLS
What is Irish Cream Liqueur?
The two most popular brands in America are Bailey’s and Carolans. Irish cream is a blend of Irish whiskey, cream, hints of vanilla, and chocolate. So right there, I should have you hooked. It has an ABV (alcohol by volume) level of about 15-20% and is popular in many mixed drinks. If you have Irish cream in your liqueur cabinet already, these pudding shots will be great to enjoy some in. Other cocktails that you can use Irish cream in include:
- Nutty Irishman
- Irish Car Bomb
- Cement Mixer
How to Make St. Patrick’s Day Pudding Shots
This recipe is super easy and is ideal to make ahead of time. So when the big day comes to celebrate, you can spend more time on other things like prepping the corned beef, drinking a Guinness, or taking a nap before you indulge in all the festivities. Those are just suggestions, I am not speaking from experience or anything.
The key to these is that they are green in color and the pistachio flavor is what makes these unique. This pudding shot recipe is wonderful for St Patrick’s Day, Halloween, and Christmas. However, if you are not a pistachio fan or do not want these to have the small bits of nuts that the pudding mix does have, you can substitute vanilla pudding into this pudding shot recipe. It will be also delicious and if you simply want them green too, just add the bit of food coloring as listed below. You can add really any food coloring and make them for any holiday or themed party that way – the ultimate vanilla pudding shot recipe!
Only 5 Ingredients for the Pudding Shots
- a small package of instant pistachio pudding (3.4oz)
- 1 C milk
- 1 C Irish Cream liquor
- 1 C Cool Whip
- whipped cream
- sprinkles – optional tasty fun!
- green food coloring – optional for the desired color
How to Make Pudding Shots
Here are the ingredients you need for the pudding shots. Jello pudding is the most popular but any brand of pistachio pudding will work for this fun pudding shot recipe. Optional is green food coloring. The green will not be as bright as the pudding is alone. Once the liqueur is added it will change a bit. It is up to you if you want it green and festive or it is all about the taste.
In a mixing bowl with a pourable spout, add the instant pudding mix, the cold milk, and the Irish cream. Mix with a hand mixer on low until it is smooth and combined. The brown color will change the color, it will still be green but subtle. This is where I decided to add some food coloring.
It will turn a bit more green with each drop you add. My results are from 2 drops of green food coloring added. If I really wanted a more true green for St. Patrick’s Day I would have added a few more drops. I wanted this to be green but still be light in color like the original pistachio pudding.
The last step is to fold in the soft Cool Whip. If it does not fold smoothly, you can use the hand mixer for a few seconds on low. You want this to be smooth so it is pourable and it will be drinkable as it sets just a bit.
Pour into 12 regular shot glasses or into 6 larger dessert/jelly cups. I like the bigger size so it feels more like a dessert and drink. Once all are poured, place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. They will NOT get the pudding skin that can happen so they can be made ahead of time and still be drinkable.
The puddings will be a bit set but if you tilted the cups would be thick but still pourable. Think of a really thick milkshake.
Top with whipped cream and/or sprinkles. My kids eat a lot of sprinkles on ice cream sundaes around here so we were out of them.
CHEERS – HAPPY ST PATRICK’S DAY!
These would also be great to have as a Christmas Pudding Shot. Maybe add some red sprinkles on top of the whipped cream.
What to Serve for St Patrick’s Day –
These great pistachio pudding shots with Irish cream are the perfect ending to a great St Patty’s Day meal. Here are more great recipes to enjoy in your celebration:
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
St Patrick's Day Pudding Shots
- shot glasses or pudding'yougurt glass jars
- 1 small package instant pistachio pudding 3.4oz size
- 1 C cold milk
- 1 C Irish cream liqueur Carolan's, Bailey's, etc
- 1 C Cool Whip soft at room temperature
- whipped cream
- green sprinkles & green food coloring optional
- In a mixing bowl with a pourable spout, add the pudding mix, milk, and liqueur.
- With a hand mixer, mix on low speed until combined and smooth. There will be really small pistachio bits from the pudding mix, that is ok.
- Optional but makes it a true green again - Add a few drops, one at a time, of food coloring if you want the green color to be more pronounced. In mine pictured above, I added 2 drops of food coloring. Mix with hand-mixer to combine.
- Fold in the cool whip until evenly combined. If still a bit lumpy, use the hand-mixer for only a few seconds.
- Pour into 12 shot glasses or into 6 larger jelly/yogurt/dessert glasses.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill and set. It will not be solid like regular pudding. It will be thick and pourable/drinkable.
- To serve, top with whipped cream. Add sprinkles if desired.
- This can be made ahead of time. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Top with whip cream only before serving as that will not hold up well.
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.