For the ultimate list of foods that start with G, check out the lists I have compiled here. There are some foods on this list you will recognize but also some you may have never heard of before. But they are all foods or drinks starting with the letter “G”. After reviewing this list you will learn more about all sorts of yummy things. So the next time someone asks you what are some foods beginning with “G”, you will be able to list off many with no problem. (could come in handy for trivia nights or crossword puzzles?)
I always think of school days when “G” is for grape. Yet, there are so many G foods to list. This post could never include them all but I have broken them down into several categories for you to find just what you are looking for. Continue reading to find out about common, unique, fruits, vegetables, and drinks, where all the foods begin with the letter “G”. By the time you finish reading this list, you will know all about so many foods that start with a. How many have you tried, and do you have a favorite?
Recipes That Start With G
Common Foods That Start With G
- Garlic bread – a side dish made of bread topped with butter or olive oil and garlic.
- Gelato – an Italian sweet frozen dessert flavored with a variety of ingredients from fruits to nuts & chocolate, similar to ice cream but with a lower butterfat
- Ginger – the root of a perennial plant used as an aromatic spice.
- Graham crackers – a sweet flavored cracker made from graham flour which is often eaten as a snack or used in baking such as in graham cracker crusts for pies and cheesecakes.
- Granola – a mixture of oats, nuts, and dried fruits that are toasted and sweetened with honey to be eaten as a cereal or snack mix.
- Greek yogurt – yogurt that has been strained to remove its whey and results in a thick yogurt that is typically more tangy and sour than other sweetened yogurts.
- Guacamole – a dip that consists of avocado and other possible ingredients such as lime, jalapeno, cilantro, onion, tomatoes, and spices.
- Gumbo – a popular soup in Louisiana that is made with w rich stock, meat, shellfish, and the “holy trinity” of celery, onion, and bell pepper.
Unique Foods That Start With G
- Garbanzo beans – also known as Ceci beans or chickpeas, a legume that is enjoyed in many dishes all over the world, including pureed in hummus, added to salads, pasta, and soups.
- Gazpacho – a cold soup made with a combination of raw pureed/blended vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and more plus herbs and spices.
- Geoduck – a very large saltwater clam found in the Pacific Ocean.
- Goat cheese – cheese made from the milk of goats and can be any hardness from soft to hard cheese.
- Grape leaves – the large leaves of grapevines that are used both fresh or preserved in dishes most often as a wrap that is stuffed and then the leaves or rolled or folders to create a pocket with filling.
- Grasshoppers – an edible insect that is high in protein and considered a delicacy in parts of Africa.
- Grouper – a family of fish that are related to the sea bass.
- Guinea fowl – a game bird, like pheasants, originating from Africa.
Fruits & Vegetables That Start With G
- Gala apples – a golden yellow and red round type of apple that is sweet and now more popular than the red delicious variety.
- Garlic – is a bulb that is aromatic, in the same family as onions, shallots, and leeks, and is used in many types of cuisines to add spice and a bit of heat to dishes with its pungent but also mildly sweet flavor.
- Gherkins – a tiny variety of cucumber that has been pickled.
- Ghost peppers – a variety of spicy pepper originally cultivated in India that has been certified as the World’s Hottest Chili Pepper by Guinness Book of World Records.
- Grapes – a small round vine fruit that grows in bunches and comes in different varieties and colors which may or may not have seeds
- Grapefruit – a citrus fruit that is both sweet and sour in nature
- Green beans – these are actually legumes and the green bean is the immature pods grown on vines.
- Green cabbage – also known as cannonball cabbage for its large round heavy shape, the most popular variety of the cabbage family which consists of hearty leafy that grow in a tight formation.
Drinks that Start With G
- Gatorade – an American sports-themed drink that acts as an electrolyte replacement beverage.
- Gimlet – a cocktail made from gin and lime juice.
- Ginger Ale – a brewed carbonated soft drink with flavors of ginger root and sometimes a bit of lemon or lime.
- Grape juice – the pressed fruit juice of grapes.
- Grape soda – a carbonated beverage that is sweetened and flavored like the fruit of grapes.
- Grapefruit juice – the pressed fruit juice of grapefruits (Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice is my Favorite Juice!)
- Green tea – a type of tea that originated in China but is one of the commonly drank types of teas in the world due to it being considered the healthiest beverage thanks to its high level of antioxidants and its anti-inflammatory nature.
- Greyhound – a cocktail consisting of grapefruit juice and vodka. (I love a Salty Dog which is the same but with a salted rim on the glass – yum!)
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Article:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!