These homemade keto sausage balls with cheese are an easy low-carb recipe great for breakfast, brunch, appetizer, or snack. They are full of flavor, tender, and cheesy good. I have been making this easy recipe for years and once you try it, you will know why it's a staple at my house.
Obviously these are great for breakfast. I love making up a huge batch for busy weekday mornings. Enjoy with some fluffy soft scrambled eggs for a complete meal I also love these as an appetizer or snack with my HOMEMADE KETO RANCH DRESSING recipe.
How Many Carbs in Sausage Balls
Below are the few ingredients you need to make these sausage balls. Based on the ingredients shown for this recipe, the nutritional information including carbs and calories for each sausage ball is as follows:
16 servings: = 180 calories - 12.8g fat - 1.1g net carbs - 14.1g protein
Each sausage ball is low-carb with just 1.1g net carbs. Plus it is high in fat with 12.8g fat which is why this is keto-friendly. This is also a great high-protein & high-calorie recipe for weight gain.
Ingredients for Keto Sausage Balls
These are made with almond flour, egg, & cream cheese to help them hold together & remain tender. The shredded cheddar makes sure they are melty, gooey, & extra cheesy.
This recipe is made with a combination of both ground pork and ground beef. The sage, salt, & pepper seasons the meat for that classic savory breakfast sausage flavor. I wanted that tender texture I get when I make homemade Italian meatballs. And boy did it deliver!
No Bisquick , wheat, or coconut flour in this recipe. The fresh flavor makes these better than other recipes that use premade sausage. No store-bought sausage here.
- Ground Pork
- Ground Beef
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Dry Minced Onion
- Ground Sage
- Salt & Pepper
- optional - cayenne pepper
For the amounts & full instructions see the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Sausage Balls
This simple recipe takes only 10 minutes to prepare. Here are the quick & easy steps needed to make these cheesy sausage balls.
- Make the Meat Mixture
- Roll out the Sausage Balls
- Bake in the Oven
Make the Meat Mixture
In a medium-sized mixing bowl add all the ingredients. Combine evenly and mix with your hands to ensure it is all coming together.
Refrigerate the sausage mixture for 30 minutes to help it set and firm up before rolling out the sausage balls or patties. This helps them hold their shape while baking. It is also key to ensure all the cheddar doesn't just melt & run out.
Roll out the Sausage Balls
Prep a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil with some cooking spray. Next, preheat your oven to 375° at this time as well.
After the mixture has chilled, roll out golfball-sized sausage balls. Place each on the baking sheet as shown below. If making patties, flatten each out with the palm of your hand.
You should get 16 sausage balls for this recipe.
Bake in the Oven
Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 375° oven. The cheese will be melting and the meatballs should be golden brown and register at least 160° on a meat thermometer.
Let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing them carefully with a spatula. The cheese should be crispy on the edges and pop right off as you remove it from the foil. The crunchy cheese is honestly my favorite part.
Substitutions or Additions
Here are some great recipe variations & ingredient substitutions that can be made. Add, omit, or use one of these alternatives for other delicious recipe ideas. These may help you enjoy this recipe even with dietary, health, or personal nutritional preferences.
- Ground Pork & Beef - substitute with other meat combinations like turkey, chicken, venison, or bison.
- Veggie - add ½ cup chopped cooked low-carb vegetables such as mushrooms, spinach, or rice cauliflower.
- Spicy - add the optional cayenne pepper or red pepper flake (minded jalapeno too OMG!)
Make-Ahead & Storage Information
They store great in the refrigerator or freezer. Place in an air-tight container with a lid or Ziploc bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 30 days.
The sausage balls bake up easily in the oven and can be made ahead of time. I love making a double batch & popping one in the freezer. To defrost, place frozen sausage balls in the refrigerator overnight.
All you need to do is warm them up in the oven, air fryer, or microwave. In minutes a fast keto breakfast, appetizer, lunch, or snack is ready.
Other Keto Breakfast Recipes -
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Keto Low-Carb Sausage Balls
- 8 ounces ground beef 80/20
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ Cup almond flour blanched & finely ground
- ¾ Cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese full-fat and softened
- ½ tablespoon minced dry onion
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground sage
- salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional - for spicy sausage
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add all the ingredients. Combine evenly and mix with your hands to ensure it is all coming together.
- Refrigerate the sausage mixture for 30-minutes to help it set and firm up before rolling out the sausage balls or patties.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Prep a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil with some cooking spray.
- Once the mixture has chilled, get ready to make the balls or patties. Using your hands, roll out golfball-sized sausage balls. Place each on the baking sheet spacing them out as shown above. If making patties, flatten each out with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 375° oven. The cheese will be melting and the meatballs should be golden brown and register at least 160° on a meat thermometer.
- Let them cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing carefully with a spatula. Enjoy!
- They store great in the refrigerator or freezer to last long. Be sure to keep them in an air-tight container or Ziplock bag. All you need to do to reheat is to warm up the sausage balls in the oven or microwave when you want a fast keto breakfast, appetizer, lunch, or snack.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12.8g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 5.7g||28%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.2g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|
|Total Sugars 0.3g|
|Vitamin D 1mcg||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.