Instant Pot chicken wings are a one in a million recipe. That is there are about a million recipes out on the internet for these spicy little numbers. I won’t convince you that mine is completely different than the rest but I have a secret step that most recipes skip And what I will convince you is that these wings are easy and you can adjust the spice so you make one big batch in the instant pot that all the adults and kids will love to eat. This recipe works great on drummettes, wings, drumsticks, and even boneless chicken strips.
The key to this recipe is the liquid that the chicken is cooked in. Most instant pot recipes call for the chicken to be cooked on a trivet above water. Yes with just water. Now, how much flavor does water add to anything? NONE! Then, in the end, the other recipes add some sauce after the chicken has all of its cooking. The bulk of the flavoring is an afterthought. My recipe layers the flavors in every step of the cooking process.
To make the chicken more distinct, these wings are cooked in a vinegary buffalo liquid that helps infuse flavor deep into the meat. In the end, they will all taste as every buffalo wing should even just straight from the Instant Pot. They do not even need to be sauced but ideally, you will do that to get the extra buffalo kick that most of us want. I prefer Franks RedHot Original Buffalo sauce for this easy and delicious chicken wing recipe for your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker. For me, the original buffalo wing recipe or flavor needs Franks RedHot.
Easy as 1 -2 – 3
- Cook in Instant Pot in Amazing Cooking Liquid
- Brown Chicken Wings under the Broiler to Crisp
- Toss in Additional Sauce
I will warn you, if you do not like your chicken meat to fall right off the bone when you eat wings, this recipe is not for you. These wings will be so very tender, there is no effort to eat these and they will be messy good. This is another reason these are great for kids. If your kids are anything like mine are, they like to eat things that do not need a lot of fork and knife skills or can be eaten easily. These are a hit for them. They can use their hands and not get in trouble; yes, please.
To begin, mix together in a pourable bowl or pyrex measuring cup the melted butter, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and water. Pat dry your chicken pieces and season liberally with salt and pepper.
Add the liquid and the chicken to the Instant Pot. Secure and lock the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing and is closed. Set the Instant Pot to Manual and for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will say ON until it reaches pressure. Once it comes to pressure the 5 minutes will count down.
Once it beeps at 5 minutes, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. After the clock reaches 10 minutes, move the valve carefully open using a wooden spoon or long utensil to release any remaining pressure.
Remove the wings from the Instant Pot and place it on a baking sheet. Crisp up under the broiler on low, rotating as you cook to ensure all sides get golden.
Time to Heat Things Up!
The final step is to melt the additional butter in a microwave-safe bowl, add the hot sauce and wings then toss with a set of tongs. You can also serve without the additional sauce for a mild version that even my kids like. I also sometimes take them at this point and toss them in melted butter and parmesan cheese.
I recently had these with the pickled vegetables that Miley helped me make. This recipe is a favorite and was our first Pinterest hit as it had 8K impressions in one day. You must try the recipe here – https://theshortordercook.com/how-to-make-quick-pickled-vegetables-kids-in-the-kitchen/
I also suggest serving these with my homemade ranch dressing. I make it without mayonnaise and it is the perfect cool creamy accompaniment for these spicy wings. Try that here – https://theshortordercook.com/how-to-make-homemade-ranch-dressing-without-mayo/
This recipe is so popular it has been featured on many other websites, including:
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
How to Make Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings (Secret Step Included)
- pressure cooker
- 3 pounds chicken wings / drummettes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 4 TB salted butter melted
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup additional hot sauce
- Combine cooking liquid ingredients together – water, hot sauce, AC vinegar, 2 TB melted butter and the cayenne pepper. Pour into the insert of your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker.
- Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper. Add to the pot.
- Lock and seal the lid. Close the steam valve on the lid. Select Manual and press the up or down arrows to set the Instant Pot to 5.
- It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. Once it does it will count down the 5 minutes. After it counts down the Instant Pot will beep. At this point let the pressure release naturally by keeping the lid locked and the valve sealed until the clock counts back up to 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the steam valve carefully with a wooden spoon or long utensil. Remove the chicken wings with tongs and place on a baking sheet.
- Place under a low broiler and rotate to brown and crisp up all sides.
- While crisping, in a large bowl combine the other 2 TB of melted butter and more hot sauce – to your taste. I use usually about another 1/4-1/2 cup at this point for all the wings.
- Once crispy toss wings in the butter and hot sauce mixture.
- Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing, raw vegetable sticks or coleslaw.