This restaurant-quality keto cream of mushroom soup is easy to make and simply delicious. I will be honest, this is hands down the best cream of mushroom soup I have ever had and for it to be low-carb also is just amazing. It's velvety, rich, & tastes gourmet & only takes 30 minutes to make.
If you want an easy homemade cream of mushroom soup that is keto-friendly, low-carb, Atkins-friendly, diabetic, and gluten-free this is the best recipe. The creamy texture with sherry creates a rich velvety mushroom soup that is so much better than any Campbell's condensed version you can buy.
Ingredients for Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
The ingredients needed for this homemade low-carb cream of mushroom soup include fresh mushrooms, vegan mushroom broth, herbs, spices, butter, cream, cream cheese, cooking sherry, and more.
This unique cream of mushroom soup is made with cremini mushrooms but you can use your favorite or a combination. In the end, it is thickened with cream cheese (uses no flour!)
- Sliced Cremini Mushrooms - this mini portabellos are hearty, meaty, & hold up well when cooked & presliced saves prep time.
- Mushroom Broth - for more intense mushroom flavor but you can use vegetable broth too.
- Butter - to saute the mushrooms and added fat & flavor.
- Garlic - a subtle pungent flavor that always pairs well with mushrooms.
- Minced Onion - the dried flakes give intense flavor with less carbs that fresh onion yields.
- Heavy Cream - for a true keto recipe full-fat cream is key plus it makes the soup thick & decadent.
- Cream Cheese - only use full-fat block cream cheese to thicken the soup without a roux, cornstarch, wheat, or grains/gluten.
- Dry Thyme - thyme and mushrooms are a classic combination.
- Cooking Sherry - do not skip this ingredient that gives it gourmet flavor that sets it over the top.
- Celery Salt - the savory salty spice balances all that dairy.
- Salt & Pepper - season to taste.
See the recipe card for amounts and full instructions.
How Many Carbs in Cream of Mushroom Soup
All of these ingredients add so much flavor without adding so many carbohydrates. This keto recipe has only 3.8 net carbs per serving in this cream of mushroom soup.
If you need a keto substitute for cream of mushroom soup in another recipe - like my SLOW COOKER SALISBURY STEAK, this is the recipe for you. It is also a great gluten-free option instead of canned condensed cream of mushroom soup.
How to Make Homemade Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
This is a simple 30-minute recipe that takes little prep. Here is how to make this soup step-by-step:
- Saute the Mushrooms & Spices
- Add Cream & Thicken
- Blend & Serve
1 - Saute the Mushrooms & Spices
In a medium-sized pot melt the butter on medium heat. To that add the mushrooms, dried onion, garlic, thyme, celery salt, salt, & pepper.
Let this saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mushrooms should be soft but not browned.
2 - Simmer
Next, measure out your broth and add that slowly to the pot. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Then lower down to low and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
3 - Add Cream & Thicken
Next, add the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream to the soup. Add the sherry also. Bring the heat up to medium so the cream cheese can start to melt into the other ingredients.
Stir to help combine. Once the cream cheese is smooth and the soup is warmed throughout, bring it back down to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
4 - Blend & Serve
Finally, remove the pot from the stove. Using an immersion blender, blend for a few minutes until it is the consistency you like. I like mine mostly smooth with only a few larger bits of mushroom left. Doing this will bring the temperature of the soup down a bit and cool it off.
Return the pot to the stove to get it warmed back up to your desired temperature. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with fresh herbs if desired. ENJOY!
Variations & Substitutes
Here are some great recipe variations & ingredient substitutions that can be made. These may help you enjoy this recipe even with dietary, health, or personal nutritional preferences.
- Heavy Cream - Use whole milk
- Homemade Mushroom Broth - buy canned or boxed mushroom broth at the store, like Pacific Foods
- Sherry - omit if you do not consume alcohol, replace with a squirt of fresh lemon juice when you serve the soup.
- Dairy-Free - use coconut milk & a dairy-free cream cheese substitute
- Garlicky - instead of the minced onion add roasted garlic and puree it in
- Low-Sodium - omit the salt & use a low-sodium mushroom broth or make your homemade with ½ the salt
This recipe is already gluten-free & grain-free.
What to Serve with Cream of Mushroom Soup
Here are great recipes for ideas on what goes well with cream of mushroom soup. Many are keto and gluten-free, but not all of them.
- SIMPLE SPINACH SALAD
- STRAWBERRY ARUGULA SALAD
- KETO CORNBREAD CHAFFLES
- KETO FATHEAD ROLLS
- GRILLED JALAPENO POPPERS
- KETO CHICKEN NUGGETS
Storing & Reheating
This homemade soup will keep well in your refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When storing cream of mushroom soup make sure it is in an air-tight container.
If you wish to freeze this, you can do that as well in an air-tight container or sealed ziplock bag. It will keep for about 2 months. Simply defrost for 2 days in your refrigerator before using.
To reheat it may take a fresh splash of cream to bring it back to a smoother consistency since the cream can separate a bit from the freeze/defrost process.
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
For equipment, I highly recommend having an immersion blender like the one I list below. It is an inexpensive kitchen tool and honestly one of my favorites.
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Immersion Blender
- 2 tablespoon salted butter (olive oil for vegan)
- 3 C cremini or baby portabello mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced dry onion
- 1 clove garlic equal to 1 teaspoon minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 C Vegan Mushroom Broth https://theshortordercook.com/vegan-mushroom-broth/
- 1 C heavy whipping cream (coconut milk for vegan)
- 4 oz full-fat cream cheese (omit or use a vegan cream cheese)
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- In a medium-sized pot melt the butter (or olive oil if you want this vegan) on medium heat. Next, add all the ingredients through the celery salt. Saute for about 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Measure out your broth and add that slowly to the pot. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Then lower down to low and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
- Next, add the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream (or just use coconut milk if you want this recipe to be vegan) to the soup. Add the sherry also. Bring the heat up to medium so the cream cheese can start to melt into the other ingredients. Stir to help combine. Once the cream cheese is smooth and the soup is warmed throughout, bring it back down to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once heated through, remove the pot from the stove. Using an immersion blender, blend for a few minutes until it is the consistency you like. I like mine mostly smooth with only a few larger bits of mushroom left. Doing this will bring the temperature of the soup down a bit and cool it off.
- Return the pot to the stove to get it warmed back up to your desired temperature.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with fresh herbs if desired. ENJOY!
- Store in an air-tight container. It will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Read above for more information about storing it, including how to freeze cream of mushroom soup.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 26.9g
|Saturated Fat 16.8g
|Total Carbohydrate 4.7g
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g
|Total Sugars 1.9g
|Vitamin D 209mcg
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.