A fresh watermelon martini just screams summer to me, and this vodka cocktail is screaming good. It is sweet, refreshing, and fancy. The addition of mint adds a bit of coolness which is a great complement to the subtle flavor that watermelon offers in this cocktail.
Besides being completely delicious, the strikingly gorgeous dark pink color is so tempting. This watermelon vodka drink is just perfect all summer long.
If you like lemon drop martinis, you will enjoy this one too. The watermelon vodka martini also has fresh lemon juice and that distinctive sweet superfine sugar rim. You will not pucker as much as you maybe would with a lemon drop martini but it will be just as satisfying and a great way to enjoy a new easy vodka drink recipe.
Is Watermelon a Fruit or Vegetable?
Since watermelon consists of about 92% water, this makes it the perfect vegetable for making beverages out of. Is watermelon a fruit or a vegetable? There are also seedless varieties so this fruit without seeds is a great option for straining to make cocktails.
Yes, I said vegetable! Watermelon is a vegetable!
Watermelons are a vegetable. There are similar to cucumbers, pumpkins, and squash. They all belong to the Cucurbitaceae family. If you think about it, the seeds are all pretty similar, right?
Ok, now that you are no longer shocked by that revelation, back to the martini making. In creating this recipe, I could not decide between blending or muddling the watermelon. In the end, I decided to try the blending option first as I felt it would yield as much of that 92% water (aka watermelon juice) for the cocktail. I never tried the muddling option since this was such a hit and why mess with perfection?
Blending it did create a bit of a "foam". After this was blended and the blades stopped, the liquid started to fall to the bottom of the container as the top became a foam/froth-like substance. By straining it through my fine mesh tea strainer, all that remained was the pink juice goodness and the martini plan was coming together!
Ingredients for the Watermelon Mint Martini
I love a good martini and I prefer vodka over gin any day of the week. This recipe would be no exception, vodka all the way! This calls for regular vodka, no fancy flavors here.
The key to the best watermelon cocktail is fresh ingredients. This is made with standard vodka and gains all the flavors from fresh produce & herbs like watermelon juice, squeezed lemon juice, and fresh mint leaves.
- Fresh Watermelon - seedless variety is best
- Vodka - use your favorite regular brand
- Lemon Juice - freshly squeezed is best
- Simple Syrup - for added sweetness
- Fresh Mint - the leaves add a cool flavor to offset the sweetness
- Super Fine Sugar - for rimming the martini glass
How to Make a Watermelon Martini Cocktail
Prepare two martini glasses by rubbing the lemon slice around the edge to moisten. In a shallow dish pour the superfine sugar, dip the martini glasses, and roll around to coat the lemon edge with sugar.
In a blender or single-serving Ninja capsule, combine the watermelon, simple syrup, lemon juice, and mint. Blend on high until liquified.
Using a fine-mesh strainer, strain into a martini shaker. This will remove the foam that will be created and leave nothing but pink liquid.
Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a martini shaker - here I used a tea strainer
Add the vodka and ice cubes to the shaker. Place the top tightly on the shaker. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
Remove the small shaker lid to expose the strainer part of the shaker, and pour ½ in each of the 2 prepared martini glasses with a sugared rim.
** optional, garnish with mint leaves and/or watermelon wedge.
Pour from a shaker into sugar-rimmed martini glasses.
If you love this recipe you may want to try another fun martini that is sweet and great for more than just Halloween. Check out my recipe for pineapple and whipped cream vodka delight - the ultimate CANDY CORN MARTINI. Or a fruit-spiced Hocus Pocus Martini.
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Watermelon Mint Martini
- Martini Shaker
- Martini Glasses
- 1 & ½ C watermelon chunks
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh-squeezed
- 1 teaspoon mint leaves
- 3 oz vodka
- 5-6 ice cubes
- lemon & 2 tablespoon superfine sugar for the glass rims
- mint leaves & small watermelon triangle wedges for garnish
- Prepare two martini glasses by rubbing the lemon slice around the edge to moisten. In a shallow dish pour the superfine sugar, dip the martini glasses, and roll around to coat the lemon edge with sugar.
- In a blender or single-serving Ninja capsule, combine the watermelon, simple syrup, lemon juice, and mint. Blend on high until liquified.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer, strain into a martini shaker. This will remove the foam that will be created and leave nothing but pink liquid.
- Add the vodka and ice cubes to the shaker.
- Place top tightly on the shaker. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
- Remove small shaker lid to expose the strainer part of the shaker, pour ½ in each of 2 prepare martini glasses with a sugared rim.
- optional, garnish with mint leaves and/or watermelon wedge
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.