Festive witch hat cookies are a Halloween favorite. These cute little no-bake desserts need just 4 ingredients & some creativity. Perfect for a costume party where everyone can decorate & gobble them up.
Whenever you want to put a spell on your guests, serve these magical cookies that look like a witch's hat. The Oreo thin cookie base has an adorable pointy Hershey's Kisses top - all decorated with colorful frosting & sprinkles.
These are perfect for school, trick-or-treaters, or parties. Or make a batch while watching the Hocus Pocus movie & sipping on some Hocus Pocus Punch. If you are looking for a fun & easy Halloween cookie, this is the best recipe. Kids will love them & adults will enjoy nibbling on one while sipping a Candy Corn Martini.
Ingredients for Witch Hat Cookies
Here are the 4 ingredients needed to make these spooky & eerie holiday cookies.
- Oreo Thins - the thin Oreo sandwich cookies work best.
- Hershey's Kisses - the regular milk chocolate or any with the outer part is all chocolate (dark, milk, almond filled etc)
- Cookie Icing/Frosting - premade white, green, or orange frosting in a squeezable bag with a tip is recommended.
- Halloween Sprinkles - jimmies or nonpareils in Halloween colors like black, orange, and purple work best.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Witch Hat Cookies with Oreos
Gather friends, family members, coworkers, classmates, kids, - everyone & get ready to make these spellbinding cookies. Each cookie takes a minute to assemble and decorate. Clean-up is even easier!
Here are the easy steps for making no-bake witch hat cookies
- Prep the Ingredients
- Pipe Icing on the Cookies
- Top with a Hershey's Kiss
1 - Prep the Ingredients
Depending on what kind of cooking icing or frosting you are using, you may need to prep it. The soft tubes by Betty Crocker need a bit of softening.
Begin by removing the cap before snipping off the tip to open it up. I recommend snipping it with sharp kitchen shears about ⅓ of the way up the tip. This makes it so enough comes out without being too thin a stream.
Also, get the other items ready and within arm's length before you start decorating. Pour sprinkles into a tiny bowl. Also, unwrap the number of Hershey's kisses you will need. Set them aside.
2 - Pipe Icing on the Cookies
Once everything is ready, it is time to start assembling and decorating the cookies. The Oreo thins will act as the base & brim of the witch hats. That is where the fun begins.
Place an Oreo thin on a plate or flat surface. Next, squeeze a large dollop in the center of the Oreo thin. Make it cover about the size of the base of a Hershey's Kiss.
3 - Top with a Hershey's Kiss & Sprinkles
Once the cooking icing is added, it is time for the ingredients that will create the pointed tip of the witch's hat.
Hint: work fast with the frosting. The frosting from the tubes will harden!! This is what we want but make sure you add that kiss & sprinkles before it sets.
Immediately after adding the cooking icing, press a kiss on top. There should be enough icing so that it squishes out and around the edge of the kiss candy. That extra icing shaped in a ring is just what you want to see.
Add sprinkles to the icing ring around the chocolate kiss. Press gently with our fingers if needed so they stick. The icing will harden so they stay in place.
Decorating Steps at a Glance
Here is what each step looks like as the decorating progresses:
Substitutions & Variations
Here are some great recipe variations & ingredient substitutions that can be made. Add, omit, or use one of these alternatives for other delicious recipe ideas for witch hat cookies. These may help you enjoy this recipe even with dietary, health, or personal nutritional preferences.
- Thin Oreos - instead use regular Oreos or fudge-dipped Oreo Cookies.
- Frosting - use orange, green, or white melted candy melts to stick the kisses to the cookies instead of frosting.
- Cookies - Use other chocolate-dipped round cookies such as upside Keebler Fudge Stripe Cookies.
- Gluten-Free - use gluten-free Oreos instead.
The right ingredients, supplies, & equipment help recipes taste amazing & turn out well. Here are recommendations for products that are needed for making this recipe. Shop this recipe & buy these top-rated items today.
The Short Order Cook participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
You can store assembled cookies in an air-tight container with a tight-fitting lid for up to 3 days. I love this stack & carry container duo. Perfect to keep them fresh & for transporting.
I don't recommend freezing these as the texture & taste of the Oreo will change. They only take a minute to make each one so make them fresh and as needed instead of ahead of time.
All of these great tips are shared in the post. But these are so good and important they are worth mentioning again so you don't miss them.
- Prep all the ingredients before getting started - especially unwrapping the chocolate kisses.
- Get the kids and others involved to have fun with the decorating.
- Work fast when assembling, the frosting will harden and set quickly.
- Store for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
- These are best enjoyed fresh.
Witch Hat Cookies
- 24 Oreo Thins
- 24 Hershey's Kisses
- 1-2 tubes/pouches Betty Crocker Cookie Icing
- Halloween sprinkles
- Prep the Ingredients if needed: open the Oreo Thins package, unwrap the candies, pour some sprinkles into a tiny bowl, & get the cookie icing open & ready** most store-bought pouches of cookie icing require kneading the icing & cutting the tip off to open it. Cut the tip about ⅓ of the way up the tip for a medium-sized opening.
- On a plate or flat surface, place one or more Oreo Thins down. * I don't recommend making more than 4-5 at a time since the icing will dry and harden. Work quickly during the icing & decorating steps.
- Next, squeeze a large dollop in the center of each Oreo thin. Make it cover about the size of the base of a Hershey's Kiss.
- Immediately after adding the cooking icing, press a kiss on top. There should be enough icing so that it squishes out and around the edge of the kiss candy.
- Add sprinkles to the icing ring around the chocolate kiss. Press gently with our fingers if needed so they stick. The icing will harden so they stay in place.
- Repeat with remaining Oreos, icing, Kisses, & sprinkles.
- Enjoy immediately.
- You can store assembled cookies in an air-tight container with a tight-fitting lid for up to 3 days.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.1g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2.1g||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25.3g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|
|Total Sugars 21.7g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
|Recipe analyzed by|