The classic sour cream coffee cake recipe with a Nutella swirl. The bundt cake shape is then perfectly drizzled with a cinnamon Nutella glaze. This is a special version of the classic thanks to the rich hazelnut cocoa spread inside the coffee cake and also in the glaze. If you love cinnamon streusel coffee cake or chocolate, you will love this too. The Nutella glaze also has cinnamon for the perfect breakfast combination.
A sour cream coffee cake is something my grandmother used to make all the time. It did not matter if it was for breakfast, dessert, or as a snack for her midday game of card with her ladies. It was a staple and I have never made a coffee cake recipe that didn't include sour cream in the batter thanks to her. The addition of Nutella to what was her classic from-scratch recipe came about thanks to my son Enzo. He loves Nutella on just about anything. He also loves cinnamon. So here we are with this lovely cinnamon, Nutella, and sour cream batter coffee cake that is fluffy, decadent, and special.
Grab a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy a thick slice of this homemade Nutella swirled sour cream coffee cake. It is all things hazelnut, chocolate, and cinnamon swirled into marble coffee cake perfection. If you love pound cake and Nutella, this is the recipe for you. It is not just great for breakfast, enjoy it as a dessert, or pack a slice for lunch on the go.
Ingredients for Homemade Coffee Cake
Below are all the ingredients needed for this wonderful coffee cake recipe. You will need staples like flour, eggs, butter, sugar, and vanilla. Plus the fun ingredients to make it special such as the Nutella, cinnamon, sour cream, and brown sugar.
Mix the Sour Cream Coffee Cake Batter
The ingredients will be mixed using a hand mixer. You will also need a bundt pan that you will want to grease and flour so that the batter does not stick. Once you preheat the oven, get out all your ingredients and equipment, then it is time to get mixing.
In a large mixing bowl, you will cream the butter and sugar. Then add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Next will be the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is evenly combined.
Swirl the Nutella in the Coffee Cake Batter
Pour half the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Next, warm the Nutella in a microwave-safe bowl for a bit in the microwave so that it is thinner and easier to pour. Pour it onto the batter and then run a butter knife through it and swirl it back and forth as shown below. There will be swirls of batter and Nutella.
After the Nutella is swirled into the coffee cake batter, pour on the remaining batter. The bundt cake pan should then be filled about 80% of the way at this point. It will rise and fill the pan as it bakes.
Bake & Cool the Cake
Make the Nutella Drizzle
Warm the heavy cream in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and warm the Nutella separately in a small microwave-safe bowl. Whisk Nutella into the heavy cream and add the cinnamon and whisk together. Drizzle the Nutella glaze evenly over the bundt cake using the whisk. It will drip and coat the cake. Let is cool a few minutes. ENJOY!
What is Nutella and How is it Pronounced?
Nutella is a spread made from roasted hazelnuts, milk, sugar, and cocoa. Learn more at NUTELLA.
The debate between whether it is "nut-ella" or "new-tell-uh" is what we go through in my house. So we did what every family does, we google it, and we ask Siri. The answer actually depends on where you live. In the UK and the USA, it is commonly pronounced "nut-ella" or "nuh-tell-uh". It is produced in Italy and per the manufacturer, it is correctly pronounced "new-tell-uh". I won't tell you who the winner is (ME!) Oh sorry, it slipped!
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Nutella Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- bundt cake pan
- hand mixer
- 1 & ½ sticks salted butter room temperature
- 1 & ¼ c granulated sugar
- ¼ c brown sugar packed
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & ¼ C sour cream full fat
- 1 & ½ C all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 C Nutella
- ½ C Nutella
- ⅓ C heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer on medium-low for about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and combine until smooth. Add vanilla and sour cream, mix until smooth.
- Add 1 C of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low until combined. Add remaining flour and mix on low. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula to mix completely.
- Pour half the batter into prepare bundt cake pan.
- Warm a cup of the Nutella in a microwave-safe bowl for about 15 seconds. This will thin it out so it is easier to pour and swirl in the batter.
- Pour the warmed Nutella evenly over half of the batter in the pan. Using a knife, drag it back and forth and in a swirling motion to even it out over the batter, see photo above.
- Pour remaining batter over the Nutella swirl. Bake for 50-60 minutes in the oven. Use a cake tester or toothpick to test for doneness. It should come out clean (or with maybe just a little sweet Nutella on it!)
- Let the cake pan cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Using oven mitts or a kitchen towel, carefully handle the bundt pan to invert the cake and remove it from the pan to then cool directly on the wire rack. It is best to have the wire rack over a baking sheet or surface that you are fine getting messy under the wire rack once the drizzling starts.
- Warm the heavy cream in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. It should NOT boil, just be warm to the touch (about 10-15 seconds) Warm Nutella separately in a small microwave-safe bowl for about 10 seconds. Whisk Nutella into the heavy cream. Add the cinnamon and whisk together. Drizzle the Nutella glaze evenly over the bundt cake using the whisk. It will drip and coat the cake. Let is cool a few minutes. ENJOY!
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.