Short ribs are cooked in the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker until they are fork-tender and delicious. This hearty comforting meal can take half a day to braise in the oven or even a slow cooker but using the Instant Pot makes this amazing meal possible in less than 2 hours. The outcome is utterly rich, savory, and soul-saving.
I adjusted a long-loved recipe I had been using for the slow cooker to make this work even better for the Instant Pot. I also tested this a few times to make a gravy that is grain-free, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly recipe (remove Worchestershire sauce). The results are a perfectly braised Italian beef short rib recipe including a savory red wine gravy that you will want to enjoy every last drop of.
This is a great low carb main dish and can be made keto with a few adjustments. To enjoy Instant Pot short ribs on a ketogenic diet, adjust this recipe just slightly. Just omit the honey and cut the tapioca starch in half, the gravy may not be as thick but will still taste amazing. Also instead of using red wine, you can use Dr. Pepper for the braising liquid in this short rib recipe. For the perfect side dish, try my Amazing Roasted Green Beans with Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning!
What are Short Ribs?
Many ask if short ribs are beef or pork? Short ribs are a beef rib usually meatier and larger than pork spare ribs. Short ribs can be either boneless or bone-in. Boneless short ribs are cut from the chuck or plate. Bone-in short ribs consist of a short portion of the rib bones near the short plate, last 7 ribs of a cow.
Both are ideal for braising and either will work wonderfully for this recipe. For this instant pot recipe, I used boneless short ribs that I got at Costco. The time does not need to be adjusted, each takes the same amount of time to cook; therefore, follow the recipe just as is no matter which cut you have.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Short Ribs in the Instant Pot?
In a nutshell, a lot less time than any other way to cook short ribs. The key to making short ribs a work of art is to cook it low and slow in a braising liquid to break down the tissues to ensure it is tender, juicy, and flavorful. When done in the oven, stovetop, or slow cooker, short ribs can take anywhere from 4-8 hours until they are ready.
This recipe takes less than 2 hours total from prep to plating. Wow! You are welcome, enjoy those 2-4 hours I just gifted you. Get a pedicure, binge watch some Netflix, have a glass of wine, or do all three! This makes this recipe doable even for a weeknight dinner. Now I will walk you through the steps and the time it takes, see below.
How to Cook Short Ribs in the Instant Pot
To begin, season both sides of the short ribs with the first 5 ingredients. Select the “Saute” setting on the Instant Pot / electric pressure cooker and adjust it to High. Once it reads HOT, add olive oil. By letting the pot come to high heat, the meat will cook faster and also not stick to the bottom.
Add 3-4 short ribs to hot oil, you want to sear the short ribs in batches, in one layer in the Instant Pot. When they come away from the pot easily, they are ready. About 2 minutes on each side will brown them and add flavor.
Transfer browned short ribs to a plate and cover with foil. Repeat cooking with remaining short ribs. Saute onions until brown, about one minute. Hit the Cancel Button. The first stage is done in about 15 minutes.
Once all done, add remaining ingredients to the insert and whisk to come together. Add meat back into the pot. Put the lid onto the Instant Pot and seal it, making sure the vent on top is in the correct position. Cook on MANUAL high pressure for 50 minutes. It took mine about 15 minutes to come to pressure. (we are now at 80 minutes total time so far)
When it’s done cooking, let it release naturally for 20 minutes and then use the quick release on top to depressurize the Instant Pot. Be careful when moving the valve to release the pressure, the steam will be very hot! DO NOT use the quick release without letting it release naturally. You want the meat to retain the natural juices and letting it come down slowly ensures the meat rests versus seizing up. (we are now at 100 minutes total time so far)
To make the gravy in the Instant Pot, remove the ribs from the pot using a slotted spoon. They may fall apart as you remove them and if you used bone-in, they will likely fall off the bone. Remove any bones from the pot and discard if there is no meat still attached. This is a good sign and how you know it will be incredible. Place on a serving platter and tent with foil to keep warm while making the gravy.
In 5 minutes, the gravy will be ready. Remove the bay leaf and discard. In a small bowl mix together 3 tablespoon water and 2 tablespoon tapioca starch together. Pour into the braising liquid still in the pot and whisk to ensure it is smooth. Hit the saute button, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Once thick, turn it off and spoon the gravy over the short ribs. 105 Minutes from start to finish!
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Instant Pot Short Ribs with Gravy
- pressure cooker
- 4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3-4 pds boneless beef short ribs, or 4-5 pounds of English-cut bone-in short ribs cut crosswise into 2-1/2-inch-long pieces
- 2 TB olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic peeled & smashed
- 1/2 medium onion small dice
- 1 C red wine
- 1 C beef broth
- 1/2 C tomato sauce
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 TBSP tamari
- 2 TBSP Worchestershire sauce do not add if you want Paleo
- 2 TBSP tapioca starch
- 3 TBSP water
- Season short ribs with the first 5 ingredients.
- Select the “Saute” setting on an electric pressure cooker and Adjust it to High. Once it reads HOT, add olive oil. Add 3-4 short ribs to hot oil, you want to sear the short ribs in batches, in one layer in the Instant Pot. When they come away from the pot easily, they are ready.
- Cook until the bottom is browned, about 2 minutes each side. Transfer browned short ribs to a plate and cover with foil. Repeat cooking with remaining short ribs. Saute onions until brown, about one minute. Hit the Cancel Button.
- Once all done, add the remaining ingredients to the insert and whisk to come together. Add meat back into the pot.
- Put the lid onto the Instant Pot and seal it, making sure the vent on top is in the correct position. Cook on MANUAL high pressure for 50 minutes.
- When it’s done cooking, let it release naturally for 20 minutes and then use the quick release on top to depressurize the Instant Pot.
- Be careful when moving the valve to release the pressure, the steam WILL BE VERY HOT! Also please DO NOT use the quick release without letting it release naturally. You want the meat to retain the natural juices and letting it come down slowly ensures the meat rests versus seizing up. Remove lid.
- To make the gravy in the Instant Pot, remove the ribs from the pot using a slotted spoon. Place on a serving platter and tent with foil to keep warm while making the gravy.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. In a small bowl mix together 3 tablespoon water into 2 tablespoon tapioca starch until dissolved. Pour into the braising liquid and whisk. Hit the saute button, cook, and stir until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Spoon gravy over the plated short ribs.
- Enjoy the short ribs and red wine gravy as is or with cauliflower mash, polenta, mashed potatoes, green beans, or any of your favorites.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19.1g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 6.1g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.2g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|
|Total Sugars 5.8g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.