For the ultimate list of foods that start with H, check out the lists I have compiled here. There are some foods on this list you will recognize but also some you may have never heard of before. But they are all foods or drinks starting with the letter “H”. After reviewing this list you will learn more about all sorts of yummy things. So the next time someone asks you what are some foods beginning with “H”, you will be able to list off many with no problem. (could come in handy for trivia nights or crossword puzzles?)
There are many H foods to list. This post could never include them all but I have broken them down into several categories for you to find just what you are looking for. Continue reading to find out about common, unique, fruits, vegetables, and drinks, where all the foods begin with the letter “H”. It is fun to learn about the origin of such foods as haggis and halo-halo. This list also shares how to use some ingredients and what some like huckleberries or holy basil may taste like. By the time you finish reading this list, you will know all about so many foods that start with H. How many have you tried, and do you have a favorite?
Recipes That Start With H
Common Foods That Start With H
- Halibut – common name for flatfish.
- Ham – a portion of the leg of a pig/hog that has been cured and may or may not also is smoked.
- Hamburger – a popular American sandwich that consists of a ground beef (hamburger) patty served inside a bread bun with toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, pickles, plus sauces and condiments, such as mustard and ketchup.
- Hash browns – an American breakfast staple made from shredded potatoes that are fried until crispy on the outside and cooked tender on the inside.
- Hazelnut – the edible nut (often called also a fruit) from hazel trees and also known as filberts or cobnuts.
- Honey – a sugary substance that is produced by honey bees and is the only known food to not have a true expiration date.
- Hot Dogs -another popular American sandwich that is made with a grilled or steamed hot dog (sausage, frankfurter, or weiner) served in the slit of a partially sliced elongated bun and topped with other ingredients like onions, sauerkraut, pickle relish, mustard, etc.
- Hummus – a Middle Eastern pureed dip/spread made from tahini, chickpeas, lemon juice, and other spices that are often served with raw vegetables, crackers, or pita bread.
Unique Foods That Start With H
- Haggis – a traditional Scottish dish that makes use of many animal parts – a sheep’s or calf’s offal mixed with oatmeal and seasonings that is then boiled in a bag, traditionally derived from the animal’s stomach.
- Halo-Halo – (mix-mix) a sweet cold Filipino dessert combination of shaved ice, evaporated milk, and other flavors like sweetened beans, boba, fruit, etc.
- Hardtack – hard dry bread of biscuit often associated a ration given to military personnel since it has a long shelf life.
- Headcheese – thought of like a meat jelly which is a terrine of parts often from the head of a cow or pig that are set in aspic.
- Halloumi – originating in Cyprus, a semi-hard, unripened cheese made from a combination of both goat’s and sheep’s milk, and has a high melting point which makes it great for frying and grilling.
- Hoison Sauce – a stir fry sauce used in Chinese cooking that is derived from fermented soybeans along with vinegar and seasonings.
- Hominy – corn that has been processed to puff it up and harden the outer sheath.
- Hummingbird cake – The Caribbean cake that includes bananas, pineapple, pecans, and cinnamon flavorings.
Fruits & Vegetables That Start With H
- Habanero pepper – a very hot variety of chili pepper with a Scoville scale of 100,000–350,000 SHU
- Haricot vert – (green bean) that is thinner and more tender than the more common green bean variety such as bluelake beans.
- Hen of the woods mushroom – a variety of mushrooms that most commonly grow at the base of oak trees.
- Holy basil – a variety of basil that is not sweet like the type used in Italian cooking and is cultivated in India and other countries in Southeast Asia
- Honeycrisp apple – a hybrid apple variety that originated in Minnesota and is known for its crisp texture and the perfect combination of sweet and tart flesh.
- Honeydew – also called, honeymelon, is a green fleshed melon and an outer smooth skin.
- Horseradish – a root vegetable similar to wasabi and cabbages, when grated or processed is commonly used to make a spicy horseradish condiment.
- Huckleberries – the state fruit of Idaho, are tart berries that are a bit larger than a blueberry.
Drinks that Start With H
- Hawaiian punch – a brand of fruit punch beverage that has no carbonation or caffeine.
- Heineken beer – a pale lager brewed by the Dutch Brewing Company.
- Herbal tea – the term for a group of tea beverages created with a blend of herbs, spices, and other plant matters and hot water to steep out the flavors.
- Horchata – the term used for a variety of plant-based drinks that originated in Spain with the most common beverage being made from rice milk with cinnamon and is sweetened.
- Hot buttered rum – a warm cocktail of spiced rum, water, and spices.
- Hot chocolate – (hot cocoa) is a warm beverage made from a mixture of chocolate or cocoa, milk, sugar, and sometimes other flavorings such as cinnamon or vanilla.
- Hot toddy – warm drink recipe made from rum, honey, lemon juice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and hot water that is traditionally served in a toddy glass.
- Hyson – a variety of green tea.
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Article:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!