Instant pot steamed broccoli is a healthy and easy recipe that comes out perfect every time. In just a few minutes fresh broccoli is cooked and ready to enjoy with your favorite meals. This method works in any electric pressure cooker and results in fresh steamed broccoli that is not mushy. Just follow a few simple steps and enjoy this quick vegetable side dish any time.
This recipe works for steaming other vegetables in the Instant Pot too. If you have cut cauliflower the same size as this broccoli it will cook for the same time. For veggies, potatoes, or other veggies that are more firm/dense, steaming them in the Instant Pot will take longer than the 0 minutes suggested here. Steaming broccoli is a great way to ensure it is a healthy side dish. To learn more about the HEALTH BENEFITS OF BROCCOLI read this article.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Broccoli
Well, it is pretty simple, you need fresh broccoli & water for this easy recipe. With this method, I only advise using fresh broccoli. Steaming frozen broccoli in the instant pot will overcook it and result in mush. Equipment-wise you will need your Instant Pot and a steamer insert or the trivet that came with the electric pressure cooker.
How to Cook Broccoli in the Instant Pot
To steam broccoli, I am using a steamer basket for this Instant Pot broccoli recipe. I recommend two kinds down below that are inexpensive and of great quality, if you do not have one yet. Using these in the insert of your Instant Pot or electric cooker allows for the broccoli to cook above the water level and results in steaming and not boiling the broccoli. This is the best way to steam vegetables in an Instant Pot.
To cook Instant Pot steamed broccoli without a steamer basket, you can simply just cut a full head of broccoli into 4 very equal pieces. You can use the same amount of water. Then place those large broccoli chunks on top of the insert rack/trivet that comes with the Instant Pot. I would then set the pressure cooking time to 1 minute, instead of 0, since the pieces are much larger than cut florets. Or still, set it for 0 if you like a very crisp steamed broccoli.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cooking Time
For perfect Instant Pot broccoli, the cooking time to steam to perfection is zero minutes! The time the electric pressure cooker needs to come to pressure is all that is needed. So you will set your manual cook time to “0”. This will result in soft broccoli florets but not too soft that they will fall apart or be mushy when you try to serve and eat them.
If you want broccoli that is crisper, you can still do this same cook time. The only change you need to make is to cut the broccoli pieces into much bigger pieces. When I want it crisper, I do not buy the prepacked broccoli florets. Instead, I buy several heads of broccoli and cut them in large chunks before placing them in my steamer insert.
When the Instant Pot beeps that it is ready, you will need to release the pressure with a quick release. You do not want to let it sit and do any natural releasing as the time ticks back up, that will overcook the steamed broccoli.
BE CAREFUL when you do your quick release and open the valve. The steam will be VERY HOT. I use a wooden spoon to click the valve over and put a folded dish towel over the escaping steam. Once the valve pin drops and the lid of the Instant Pot is unlocked, you can CAREFULLY open the lid. NOTE all the steam that is coming out as seen in my photo above. That steam is still very hot too. Spoon out and enjoy!
What to Serve with Steamed Broccoli
Here are some of my favorite recipes that go well with steamed broccoli as the side dish. Try one and have a wonderful complete meal.
- KETO LOW CARB LASAGNA WITH CREPINI
- BEST KETO CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- SLOW COOKER SALISBURY STEAK
- GRAIN-FREE FRIED CHICKEN NUGGETS
- ITALIAN CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
The steamed broccoli is pictured below with another wonderful Instant Pot recipe that the whole family will love. Serve broccoli with INSTANT POT CREAMY CHICKEN SPAGHETTI.
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Recipe:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
- Steamer Basket
- 1.5 pds fresh broccoli florets
- 1 C water
- To the insert of your Instant Pot add 1 cup of water. Place the steamer insert or basket into the Instant Pot. (see notes above how to cook without a steamer basket)
- Add broccoli to the steamer basket/insert.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is closed and the lid is locked into place. Press the MANUAL button and set the clock to 0 (zero) minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot come to pressure - about 8 minutes. When it comes to pressure and beeps it will then be ready as there is no cook time for this steamed broccoli recipe.
- Immediately do a Quick Release - CAUTION AS STEAM WILL BE HOT! I use a wooden spoon to click the valve over and put a folded dish towel over the escaping steam. Once the valve pin drops and the lid of the Instant Pot is unlocked, you can CAREFULLY open the lid.
- With a spoon scoop out the broccoli to serve. Season with salt and pepper. You can add butter, parmesan cheese, or other ingredients for a simple side dish.
- Fresh steamed broccoli will store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.6g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.3g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.4g||16%|
|Total Sugars 2.9g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Did you make this The Short Order Cook Recipe?
Tag @theshortordercookblog (Instagram & Facebook) or @shortorder_cook (Twitter).
I would love to see your latest creations and kitchen adventures.