For the ultimate list of foods that start with A, check out the lists I have compiled here. There are some foods on this list you will recognize but also some you may have never heard of before. But they are all foods or drinks starting with the letter “A”. After reviewing this list you will learn more about all sorts of yummy things. So the next time someone asks you what are some foods beginning with “A”, you will be able to list off many with no problem. (could come in handy for trivia nights or crossword puzzles?)
I always think of school days when “A” is for apple. Yet, there are so many A foods to list. This post could never include them all but I have broken them down into several categories for you to find just what you are looking for. Continue reading to find out about common, unique, fruits, vegetables, and drinks, where all the foods begin with the letter “A”. By the time you finish reading this list, you will know all about so many foods that start with a. How many have you tried, and do you have a favorite?
Recipes That Start with A
Common Foods That Start with A
- Albacore tuna – often referred to as America’s highest-grade, “white meat” canned tuna.
- Alfredo sauce – a creamy white sauce commonly made from butter, cream, and parmesan cheese.
- All-Purpose Flour – a general wheat flour that comes either bleached or unbleached.
- Allspice – a dried berry from the Pimenta dioica plant that is ground and has a similar taste to cinnamon and cloves.
- Almonds – edible nuts from almond trees that are a great source of Vitamin E.
- American cheese – a mild processed yellow cheese made from pressing other cheese types together such as cheddar, Colby, etc.
- Anchovies – small fish that are often canned and have a salty, umami, and fishy flavor.
- Animal crackers – mild small biscuit-like crackers that traditionally come in the shapes of a bear, cougar, elephant, giraffe, etc.
Unique Foods That Start with A
- Abalone – shellfish that comes in large shells that are “pearlescent” on the inside; therefore, are in high demand for the beautiful shell and the rich flavor of its meat.
- Ahi tuna – yellowfish tuna that is typically served rare or raw for ideal texture and flavor.
- Aioli – an emulsion similar to mayonnaise but typically made with raw eggs, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil while mayo includes eggs and canola oil.
- Alligator – a high protein and low-fat meat source with the most desirable cuts being the tenderloin and the inner part of the tail.
- Andouille sausage – a course-ground pork sausage commonly used in Louisiana Cajun cooking.
- Antipasto – Italian term that translates to “before the meal” is typically an offering of a variety of small bites such as cured meats, cheeses, olives, fruit, marinated vegetables, etc.
- Arancini – crispy deep-fried Italian rice balls that are often stuffed with cheese, meat, or eggplant.
- Asiago cheese – a cow’s milk cheese that crumbles easily and commonly used in Italian cooking and can be used as a substitute for Parmesan. For more, Discover the World of Asiago Cheese.
Fruits & Vegetables That Start with A
- Acorn squash – a winter squash often roasted.
- Alfalfa sprouts – sprouted seeds from the alfalfa plant that is harvest before fully mature and typically eaten raw in salads and on sandwiches.
- Apples – one of the most common fruits that are enjoyed raw and often used in cooking and baking.
- Apricots – a small sweet orange stone fruit that is seasonal in summer that can be eaten raw, made into preserves, or desserts.
- Artichoke – is actually the flower bud of a thistle that is harvested before it goes to bloom and is typically steamed or roasted before eating.
- Arugula – spicy leafy green that can be eaten raw in salads as well is cooked and added to pasta, soups, or other dishes.
- Asparagus – most commonly found as a green stalk but there are also white and purple varieties and all are delicious also steamed, grilled, or roasted.
- Avocados – a green fruit that is full of healthy fats and fiber and enjoyed on many dishes like avocado toast, guacamole, tacos, and more.
** have you ever had an avocado you think is bad – read more about how to not let it go to waste in my post WHY IS MY AVOCADO STRINGY?
Drinks that Start with A
- A&W root beer – a popular brand of root beer found in the USA and Canada.
- Absinthe – a high-proof liquor extracted from wormwood that has a licorice-like flavor and has been thought to cause hallucinations.
- Ale – a type of beer usually with a full-bodied and bitter flavor.
- Almond milk – a non-dairy beverage that is plant-based which is made from almonds and water.
- Apple Juice – a sweet beverage made from the extracted juices from apples.
- Appletini – a martini cocktail that typically is made from sour apple liqueur, vodka, and juices.
- Apricot Nectar – juice that is extracted from the pulp of apricots along with added sweetness and water to create a thick beverage.
- Arnold Palmer – a cold non-alcoholic beverage that is made of equal parts lemonade and sweetened iced tea.
PIN FOR SAFEKEEPING & SHARING!
Product Recommendations for this Article:
The Short Order Cook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps with the costs of running the blog. Thank you!